top of page

Murder charge "expected", 35 years after a two-year-old Central West girl went missing


A police diver during an earlier search of the property near Oberon. Copyright: NSW Police.

By staff writer


A woman from New Zealand who police allege was involved in the disappearance of a two-year-old girl in the Central West in 1987 has landed in Sydney after being extradited.



In October 2019 detectives from the Homicide Squad’s Unsolved Homicide Unit received information relating to the alleged murder of a two-year-old girl near Oberon in 1987. They subsequently commenced an investigation under Strike Force Bertrand.


Detectives were told that the child was allegedly fatally assaulted by a woman known to her, in or around July 1987, at a rural property at Porters Retreat near Oberon.

"The woman was then allegedly assisted by a man in disposing of the child’s remains," police stated.



On November 16, 2021, a 70-year-old man was arrested at a rural property at Porters Retreat and charged over his alleged role in the murder. He remains before the courts.


The same day, New Zealand police arrested a 59-year-old woman at a home at Palmerston North pursuant to a NSW arrest warrant.


She has been held in custody in New Zealand since that time, as Australian authorities worked to seek her extradition to NSW, police said.

Earlier this week, strike force detectives travelled to New Zealand, where the woman – now aged 60 – was released into their custody to be escorted back to Australia.


Their flight arrived at Sydney International Airport on Thursday, and the woman will be taken to Mascot Police Station.



Police said it is expected she will be charged with murder.


Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.

Comentários


bottom of page