top of page

UPDATED: Teenager charged following alleged stabbing at Canobolas High

August 29, 2022


Canobolas Rural Technology High School on Monday. Copyright: Orange News Examiner.

By Peter Holmes


When Zac - not his real name - called his mum on Monday afternoon, he was deeply shaken, having just witnessed an alleged stabbing with a knife at Canobolas Rural Technology High School.


The school went into lockdown on Monday.


When The Orange News Examiner attended the site at about 1:45pm no pupils, teachers or staff were anywhere to be seen.

When Zac's mum got the phone call she drove to the school in the hope of collecting him.




However all the steel fences around the perimeter had been closed, with the only entry via intercom approval.


A police car at the scene. Copyright: Orange News Examiner.

Through the intercom the mother was told that her son was OK, but that she could not collect him as the school was locked down.


She was advised to wait for more information.


The emotional toll was etched into her face. As the rain came down, she walked back to her car to wait.

A police car was seen on site.


About 1pm emergency services were called after reports a student had been stabbed.




Officers attached to Central West Police District attended and found a 16-year-old girl suffering stab wounds to her chest and arm.


She was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics at the scene and taken to Orange Health Service in a stable condition.


A 15-year-old girl was arrested at the scene and taken to Orange Police Station where she is assisting police with inquiries.

A crime scene was established, and an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident is underway.



Superintendent Brendan Gorman talks to the media. Copyright: Orange News Examiner.


With investigations ongoing, superintendent Brendan Gorman didn't give too much away when he spoke to media at Orange Police Station on Monday at 3pm.


"A crime scene was established and police are conducting investigations at the crime scene at this moment," he said. "Police are gathering evidence and statements from staff and other students at the school.

"The circumstances and motivation behind the [alleged] stabbing are still to be established, that will come soon."


He said the lockdown was "part of the process is to ensure there are no other persons [involved]; it's all about security and safety of the children at the school".


He said the alleged stabbing was "very concerning for police ... knives are lethal ... and [children] shouldn't be using knives in any way shape or form other than to cut food."


Asked about the weapon, he said: "At this stage it's just a knife, is all I can tell you".


He said police would be addressing youth crime in Orange in coming weeks and months.





He described the incident as "isolated" and that there was no evidence it was related to any other incidents.

"There is community concern in regards to youth-related crime," he acknowledged " ... particularly in the Orange CBD. Police have established a high-visibility policing operation and we will be out and about making sure people are doing the right thing."


UPDATE 30/8/22 AT 7:23AM.


A teenage girl has been charged following the incident.


She was charged with reckless wounding and refused bail to appear before a children’s court today (Tuesday August 30, 2022).


You can support independent media, and help The Orange News Examiner to keep telling stories like this one, by making a one-off donation or a small monthly pledge at Patreon or PayPal. A big thank you to those who have already chipped in!

Comments


bottom of page