top of page

$26 million Prince Street development has "unsatisfactory design outcome": council report

October 29, 2022


Supplied.

By David Fitzsimons


The $26 million residential redevelopment of the former Orange Base Hospital site should either be refused or undergo major changes due to the size and placement of the largest building, a key report has found.




It has also raised concerns over the number of trees to be chopped down to make way for the proposal that would put 17 townhouses, 63 apartments and a public park on land fronting Prince, Sale and Dalton streets.


A development application from Maas Group Properties is due to be determined by the Western Regional Planning Panel on November 15.

Orange City Council, which owns the land, sought an independent assessment of the DA from Andrew Crump Town Planning.





That report is to be presented to council’s next meeting on Tuesday night.


It recommends the WRPP either refuse the DA or demand a redesign.


The report says the major apartment building needed to be moved back from Prince Street as it was 2.6 metres too close to the street.


It has also called for an internal driveway to be included and planned access from Sale Street that would require tree removal be refused.

The report says up to 12 trees, most in a “green belt” on Sale Street, would be removed under the DA.



However the report says at least five of them should be saved.


It says some had a life expectancy of up to 50 years.


Supplied.


The report recommends the DA be refused because “the bulk and scale of the residential flat building, with specific reference to the south and west elevations, along with the architectural detailing within the same elevations, combines to present an unsatisfactory design outcome within the street and adversely impacts upon the heritage setting".


Orange council cannot rule on the DA as the development is valued at more than $5 million, however it can make a recommendation to the WRPP.

Under the plan the council will also be given a section of the site as a public park.



The DA has been previously amended and has been on public exhibition twice.


That led to nine public submissions and 10 people completing a survey on council’s Your Say page.


RELATED STORIES:







Independent media with no agendas is more important than ever. The Orange News Examiner needs your support, if you are able financially, so we can keep telling stories and keep the site free for everyone, no matter their means.


You can make a one-off donation or a small monthly pledge at Patreon or PayPal. A big thank you to those who have already chipped in!

Comments


bottom of page